Concert Band

In the fall, there is marching band. But fall 'twas a while ago.

In the spring, we have concert band. We just had out concert last Thursday. And will perform at Districts March 17th at 5:30 at Buchholtz. But anyways... I've had many concerts before, and though the years, I've gotten less and less nervous for each performance. During Showcase 2010 for Arizona School for the Arts I was not really nervous, just excited. Not many people can say they've played trumpet for an arrangement of Pirates of the Caribbean at the Gammage Auditorium in Tempe. :)

For our performance last Thursday I wasn't nervous at all. Not even that excited. Kinda weird actually... I don't know if that has happened to me before. But less you have stage fright (I don't) there was really not much to be nerve-racked about. Yeah, sure, there was band directors there to give us feedback. But it's not like it important to anything except bettering our pieces and playing.

Of course, the evening DID have some interesting points. For example, we all had to wear purple cumberbuns and bow ties. And as boring as that may sound, I have never wore either so I had to figure out how to put then on...but don't ask me how to teach you.

Also, I have a very, shall we say, finicky 3rd valve slide who likes to fall off. The only time I ever grease/oil/whatever it is after I give it a bath (yes, brass instruments do get baths). Maybe because it's only 2 and a half years old, but otherwise, I have no idea why it's so...slidy. Sometimes during marching season it would fall off. Eventually I used the electrical tape we were given, not only to put around my mouthpiece like everyone else, but also to keep my slide from sliding off. I had a screw to keep it from falling off, at one point, but it would still fall off... and then I also lost the screw.
Here's a picture I found labeling the trumpet parts. The 3rd slide is in the back (from this angle).

At the concert we played 3 pieces:  Brighton Beach, Ammerland, and Cumberland Cross. [Also played in that order] Of the 3, the trumpets only play during the 1st measure for Brighton. The starting piece. And my lovely slide decided to fall out right as I shifted my trumpet right before we started the piece. Ha. Of all times. So I pretended to play the first 10 or so measures then put it back on during our rests. I don't know about the rest of you, but my concert started around measure 20. What a wonderfully great way to start a performance. I found it quite amusing.

Comments

Popular Posts