BF...BFF..BFFL?.. Best Friends.

I have a terrible habit of leaving light and fans on and leaving the room. I’m house-sitting currently and I keep on catching myself. But, this is something that my former-roommate and (still) best friend could easily tell you. I am, however, anal about turning my music off when I leave a room (or bringing it with me).

In little more than a month I will be moving into my college dorm with two roommates, with a few friends, and a lot of future friends. So I thought to take this time to ruminate over friendship and what defines a best friend.

I have about a half dozen best friends, and they live in a bunch of different places. They haven’t all met each other, they also have other best friends, and I don’t talk with them every day of my life.

I’ve read so many articles (especially on HelloGiggles) about how you can grow out of friends, slowly shed some friends, need to get rid of harmful friendships, and generally how humans try to keep their friends. Also there’s a bunch about Facebook friends, but culling that list to under 200 is probably not going to happen. Even so, the logical-thinking human I am, I have gone through several times and deleted people off social media. I’m generous, and don’t delete a bunch of ~ people, but I still deleted a little over a 100 off of Facebook the week after graduation. Fun fact: My mom has more Facebook friends than I do. Like, double the amount. Check for yourself if you don't believe me.

Anyways. I don't really have qualms against deleting people from my life if they're not important. The ones who are important, they're not getting rid of me anytime soon. I give out unconditional love to them, because they are a part of my family. Which, they actually do know the other 4 of my immediate family. And usually pretty well. But that doesn't bother me. Until one of my siblings is being super annoying. I'm always impressed with how much time my friends are willing to spend with my siblings. I'm so blessed.

I don't talk to them all the time. Of course, when people are in different states or countries with different schedules  and things to do, it can be hard to take that time. Skype is so great. Though also, I seem to be cursed with lots of friends who don't spend a lot of time on social media/don't text a lot/hard to contact, and as lovely as it is to not have friends who aren't glued to their phones, it makes it even harder to talk! It's like, I use snapchat for one, WhatsApp for another, email for a third, texting for some, and Skype as an eventual meeting spot for long chats. But hey, whatever works.

Now that I totally strayed from my original direction, let's think about this again- what makes a best friend? For me, a best friend is someone who accepts and loves you and doesn't require things from you but knows that they can come to you no matter what and not receive judgement.. and vise versa. You don't necessarily need to share everything, but knowing you can if you want to is important. Relationship love is constantly in articles and quizzes and movies and books, but best friend love is just as important (and maybe even more so if you want to consider your love to also be a best friend). 

There is no one definition to a best friend. People may have a more specific definition than I, or consider other qualities to be more important. You define it in whatever way feels right to you. In the end, they're like an extension to your family and they make you happy that they're a part of your life.

Occasionally I'll get a message of love or food creations, and I just know that no matter what, I can count on my best friends to stay with me, just as I promise to stay with them. Now, gotta plan another Skype chat. 

To all my current and future besties- I appreciate and love you!

See ya!

More posts coming soon (fingers crossed). Life has been insane!

Comments

Popular Posts