AFDOR 2: Present

Some years I'm just like BY GOLLY, I've really CHANGED. And some, I'm just like, have I changed? I couldn't have not changed! How have I changed? I have no clue!

One of the funny things about getting older is that after you turn 18, graduate, move out, and all that stuff, you just become more and more adult-ish. And it's really weird. Like, being able to handle responsibilities on your own is a really strange accomplishment, because everyone older than you is already doing all that, and everyone younger than you isn't really bothering to think about it. I know that younger people have responsibilities too, like chores and homework and all that, and I'm not minimizing that, but when you're out, you're the one who chooses your responsibilities, makes sure they get done, and deals with all the after-effects whether you do them or not. And I did have a lot of self-responsibilities in Panama, but I also had a lot of people acting as my guardian for varying things (like our house cleaning schedule or when we went out by ourselves). So for college, there's a lot more within my daily schedule that I'm choosing for myself and I'm not so much having to rely on others in order to decide when I want to do things.

Additionally, I feel like I quite possibly have learned a lot more about myself and how I want to deal with different situations or what I'm wanting in life. I still very much want to be a Teen Librarian and I want to continue traveling and living in different places and I want to continue going to concerts and festivals to experience music, and my core being is still the same, but yes, I feel very proud of all the experiences I have had and when I look back on it all, I couldn't say that I regret anything. But this year has particularly reminded me that even though I know many things about myself, and feel like I've always been fairly mature, I still have a lot to learn and experience, and truly, you can't really say anything about yourself until you have gone through those experiences. Whether it be about eating choices, sleeping habits, budgeting yourself, choosing classes, or how to deal with all sorts of relationships including with roommates and everyone else who you're living closely with; you have to decide for yourself how to live you life! And I've had three very different living situations this year, from Jan-May in Panama, the summer with my family in Gainesville, and at Sarasota for college, and they've all brought great insights and experiences for me this year.

So anyways, how have I changed? Meh, dunno. But looking back at my last New Years, I must say, I feel like it was a whole different world and I was such a different person at that point. I'll stop talking so abstractly about experiences and change and all that and just say this- here's to the past year we've had and to the year of 2016 that we have ahead of us! Best wishes on everyone!

See ya!

Comments

Popular Posts