Smelling Things

We have officially gotten diffusers into the house, which is absolutely wonderful because we can now use our essential oils to make the house smell nice. I've gotten into the habit, though, of every time I pass by whichever diffuser is running, to stand over it and inhale deeply the smell. Which is not what the diffusers are meant for! But it just smells sooooo nice.

One commonly known fact about our sense of smell is that of all of our senses, it is the most closely tied to memory. Although, I have read research about how music is also really linked to memory and often something that isn't forgotten even in cases of large memory loss because of it being in a different part of the brain. But back to scents. Some things just smell so wonderful and bring back memories that make you happy. I wanted to share my favorite smells, so here they are-

Peppermint:
Peppermint to me is healing and soothing. I've been using olbas oil/inhaler (where peppermint is a huge component) for basically my whole life, and so I have memories of my mom using that with me for whenever I was sick. Peppermint is also good for headaches, nausea, and respiratory stuff, which are basically the main things I deal with if I'm not feeling good.

Basil:
I love pesto. I love having basil plants. I once was in a greenhouse completely reserved for basil and it smelled wonderful in there. Yum yum yum.

Chai:
Now, my mom makes Chai from scratch and if you haven't had that before (tea bags of chai don't count!), then you've not truly had chai. It's delicious and smells wonderful.

Henna:
Henna is fun, it's beautiful to see the tradition henna creations, and if you like that particular color scheme, it's a really awesome natural hair dye. It has an earthy smell to it that makes me happy every time I'm around it.

Thieves:
This is actually a blend, not just a singular scent, but it has a pretty interesting backstory from back during the Black Plague. Here's an account of the story and other info about it. There's different recipes for it, but it's another earthy one that helps healing and smells comforting. My mom has also used this one throughout my life.

And, the most unusual thing I'm smelt...

The North Sea off the coast of Denmark.

I've been around oceans a good amount. I'm from Florida, and part Costa Rican, so there's already a good number of bodies of water to have been around. But when I was at the North Sea, it smelled so oddly different (and so hard to explain!) from any other beach/ocean I've been to. I need to go back and smell it again. lol. Even though I can't conjure up what it smelled like, I don't think I'll ever forget how distinctly different the North Sea smelled to me.

So, what are your favorite scents/things to smell? Of course, smelling food cooking is the best. But there's always a few particular things that smell special.

-See ya

Comments

  1. The holy trinity of aromas for me is coffee brewing, bacon frying, and a campfire burning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts