Top Music of the Summer

Anybody who knows me should know that I adore music. That should be pretty obvious. I also tend to rant about my non-favorable opinions of pop radio, but I have decided to do something inspired by pop radio. If you listen to the radio during the summer, you inevitably have heard the great debate about the "song of the summer." It's a bit silly, but it's a fun test of popularity (if you're the kind of person that likes analyzing music trends). Ignoring whatever your radio might have told you, here's what I was listening to.


Top 5 Artists of the Summer

These artists I kinda obsessed about because they came out with a new album and/or I newly discovered them this summer.

Alltta

It's nearly impossible to pick a favorite from this duo because I adore basically everything they've done together. Meaning "A little lower than the angels" Alltta is Mr. J. Medeiros- an american rapper, and 20syl- a french electronic artist forming an electronic hip hop fusion that has really great beats and lots of deep topics. That Good Ship was the first song I heard (I think) but I've posted the non-album version of Bucket but I really really like the lyrics and sound of it.


HONNE 

Another duo, except these 2 are British. I found their song Day 1 and fell in love with their quirky pop-y vibe and their adorably cute lyrics. I also love the sample used at the beginning of Me & You and how they incorporated it into the song. 


Panic! At The Disco

A long time favorite. I love Panic, but I also tend to forget about them for extended periods of time and then when they come out with something new or a song of theirs pops up, I remember my love of their ever-shifting sound. Brendon Urie is a very talented man, and their new album has definitely shifted them into pop, but I love the orchestral usage throughout the album. High Hopes was definitely my favorite song from the new album, plus the video just looks so cool, so that just adds to the fun. 


5 Seconds of Summer

This is and always has been a guilty pleasure of mine. So yes, they came out with a new album, and I spent a lot of time listening to it. My favorite song from it was Moving Along, but they didn't have a video for that, so here's the album's title track.


Fréro Delavega

I found this band through my friend Courtney and first heard this song- Le Chant des Sirènes, but it wasn't available on spotify, so I ended up really falling in love with the song Le Chant des Sirènes 2, which is actually a completely different song. They also have plenty of songs not about mermaids, and those are really good too. I love listening to music in other languages, and I've been listening to a lot of French artists lately, not sure why, but this duo (another duo!) has a more singer/songwriter acoustic-sounding chill vibe to their sound that I found to be really nice and soothing.



Top 25 Songs of the Summer 

I tried to see if I could do 10 top songs, but that's impossible. I can barely ever pick favorites of anything. There's no particular order to it, and you will see repeats of the top artists from my summer except in the case of Alltta where I couldn't pick a favorite song, but I picked favorites from the 2 of them independent of each other.
  1. Liquid Spirit - 20syl Remix by Gregory Porter
  2. On and On by Hocus Pocus
  3. Me & You by HONNE and Tom Misch
  4. Me and My Friends by James Vincent McMorrow
  5. Tequila Limonada by Netsky and A.CHAL
  6. Forever & Ever More by Nothing But Thieves
  7. Four Winds by Opia
  8. June by Petrie and JESS
  9. King Without a Crow (ft. Skinny Living and Kid Ink) by Punctual
  10. Knock Knock by Vinyl Theatre
  11. Welcome To The Family by Watsky
  12. High Hopes by Panic! At The Disco
  13. Levitate by Twenty One Pilots
  14. Loyal to Me by Nina Nesbitt
  15. Leaving (ft. Yuna) by Ekali
  16. TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME by The 1975
  17. Swallow (Ft. Logan) by Mr. J. Medeiros
  18. Take You Down by Illenium
  19. Superlove (ft. Oh Wonder) by Whethan
  20. Lady Cha Cha (Just Latin Dance) by Minimatic
  21. Moving Along by 5 Seconds of Summer
  22. Les Chant des Sirènes 2 by Fréro Delavega
  23. Heaven/Hell by CHVRCHES
  24. Lifeline by MELVV and Dana Williams
  25. Those Who Know by Brasstracks
So, I think that about sums up my summer musically. Thinking about sharing more music suggestions on here more often, so if that's something you might enjoy, let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts