The Green Mixtape 3: Rap investigation continuation

This Week I saw both Watsky and Nothing But Thieves concerts. I’ve seen them both before, around 2 years ago for each. They were both at the beacham on thurs/fri in orlando, so that’s why I spent the weekend there. So of the two, the Watsky show was the best. He puts on such a good show, he’s in my top 5 artists to see live (right now, I think that’s Paul McCartney, Muse, Twenty One Pilots, Watsky, and an open 5th spot that’s still unknown).

And Watsky tours with a friend-family type of crew of musicians. He tends to collaborate with the same collaborators from his first album  to his most recent (though he also sprinkles in new ones) and they go on tour together and they’re all actually friends. Another thing. Watsky may be a straight white male rapper, but he surrounds himself with POC or females. I really love Watsky, but I’ve added a song of his on this list before, so I’m not gonna post him again, but I’m also such a big fan of his vocalist Camila Recchio and his bassist/keyboardist Kusy Mody and the two of them both have their own stuff but they’re also recently a duo together called Free The Biirds and I’m such a big fan of it all, I’m gonna post all songs related to that.

Green Mixtape

Green Mixtape Outtakes

Sofia's Picks:

One Step (ft. Wax & Watsky) by Camila Recchio
Camila Recchio is officially my new favorite vocalist. I’ve seen her perform twice now, and her voice is just incredible. In continuation of our exploration of rap this year (I feel like that’s almost become a trend in my current music patterns- trying to find songs in which there’s rap I like), Watsky raps a little on this song, as does wax, who’s another collaborator of theirs. I love how real this song gets. There’s a mention of her learning logic, which I love because I’ve learned on logic as well. You have to check out the rest of her stuff though because it’s all great. There’s a really old song, speaking of wax, by him and Watsky called Give A Hater A Hug (Kush is on it too), which I also love for how quirky it is, so I’ll put that on outtakes too.

Freight Train by Kush Mody & Anderson .Paak
I know I’m obsessed about this community of artists, but I had a hard time picking between this song and a song of Kush Mody’s that has Watsky on it and another female artist. That one is called Strangers and Free The Biirds performed it at the concert. I’ll put it on outtakes too. I love how much everything Kush Mody does, feels like art. Anderson .Paak is a great vocalist too, and Kush’s bass line is really fun in this.

Beneath The Water by Free The Biirds
Free The Biirds is the Camila-Kush duo! I love the piano in this song, and Camila’s vocals are great as always. It was so cool seeing them perform this together, especially as it’s one of their first songs. Also, Camila wrote it while staying at Watsky’s drummer’s sister’s house (the sister also has sung in Watsky’s songs before too). It’s a very interwoven music community, which I love.

Wayne's Picks:

Amy by Ryan Adams
I have a former film studies student who worked at Grooveshark and has really strong opinions on music and movies. I know from his posts that he loves Bruce Springsteen, the Replacements, and Ryan Adams. I saw that the library had a bunch of Ryan Adams cds, so I asked Jack if I was only going to listen to one Ryan Adams cd, which one would he recommend. He said Heartbreaker. So I got it. Honestly I havent listened to it much, but I do really like this song, even though its not the best representative of his style of work. He's not a sappy ballad kinda guy.

Future Hell by Swearin
As you know,  sometimes I find songs that have a twinge of annoying quality to them,  but then something about it sticks. This one is so obviously Pixies-influenced, and i like it. It feels like a little callback to a band that recorded far too few albums. But it might also be kinda annoying. Not sure.

Namesake by Tunde Olaniran
Continuing our attempts to incorporate more rap, I offer this one. The guy is from Michigan, and I like his embracing of self-expression and acceptance, which in my limited exposure to hip hop seems to be lacking. If you opt to look up the lyrics, I recommend the official video.

Notes:

Sofia: Amy is very chill, but I like his use of minimal but enough instrumentation and percussion. It also kinda reminds me of Paul's voice with how he says "OoOhhh." Initally I thought it was almost too chill for me, but even before the song ends, I quite like it! Definitely going to check out the rest of the album to see how his other stuff compares because I'm sure I'll find something I like.

Wayne: Yeah, jack said that song really had to grow on him. but I liked it from the start.

Sofia : It only took me a minute for me to like it haha.

Wayne: I really like the first song on the album too.

Sofia: To Be Young?

Wayne: Maybe? Don't remember names. Love the guitar chords in One Step. Are those sampled or original?

Sofia: I'm not sure. I know with Kush Mody he plays his own instruments, but I'm not sure if any of those three play it, or if maybe she had another friend play it for her, or if it's a sample. Well, I did listen to To Be Young because that's the first from the album, and I definitely like it too.

Wayne: Yeah, that's it.  He had me at the odd count in.

Sofia: Wow, off the bat, Namesake is such a fun sound!

Wayne: Yeah!

Sofia: This guy is cool.

Wayne: Cool factor will increase when you watch the video.

Sofia: He sounds like what popular music should sound like. Oh yeah, I'm watching the video, that's how I'm first seeing it. It's great.

Wayne: His new album is great. I was going to put a song from it on, but its too new, so not on spotify yet.

Sofia: Ah cool I look forward to hearing it. Wait, I think it's on spotify. Called Stranger?

Wayne: Oh, it is now! Just put the song on outtakes.

Sofia: Lol okay great. I love Stranger too! Funny how we both posted outtakes called Strangers / Stranger.

Wayne: Lol, yeah. Camila does have a great voice.

Sofia: Also, reading about Tunde Olaniran, he produced the track Hijabi, which I remember the release of that video! That was really cool. Camila's even better in concert.

Wayne: Freight Train is awesome.  The verse was great, then the chorus kicked out up a notch, echoes of the Commodores...And prince.

Sofia: Kush Mody is super talented. Also, Anderson .Paak was at Bonnaroo this year, though I didn't see him, and he's pretty well known.

Comments

Popular Posts