The Green Mixtape 4: Fall Break

This week covers the songs we shared together during my fall break. The funny thing about it though was that I was actually home in Gainesville, but my dad was off in LA for a conference!

Green Mixtape

Green Mixtape Outtakes

Sofia's Picks:


Rico by Maya Jupiter & Aloe Blacc
This is a fun one- and also relevant to our rap investigation. I went on a music journey when listening to Body Language by Tennyson (I’ll put on outtakes) because Aloe Blacc is on that song, and so I went to look what he’s done, and he did that one song that you always hear used at sports events- The Man. After watching the video for that, I realized how funny it is that football (especially considering all the recent controversy) uses a song which is so much about representing black men, at least in the video. It’s quite a cool video, actually. I do think that mami may be more likely to like this song/artist than you, but I like it a lot, so I wanted to share it on this list.


Suicide Doors by Mona Haydar

This has a heavy title, but I think it’s an appropriate content warning for the contents of the song. Despite that, it’s a powerful song that gives some hope. After learning about Tunde Oral? last week, I was reminded of her Hijabi video (which I know Mami saw at least) and she doesn’t have a lot of songs yet, but I thought they were all great, so I hope she comes out with some more. The other singer on this song had a really great voice too, so I think she really shined on this song.

Smithereens by Twenty One Pilots
I know you know about them, but they just came out with a new album, so I can’t help but share one of my favorite songs from the album. One of my favorite things about them is how they solve their sound between albums, and I love the world building they created behind this album, but also I’ve been loving all the new and different songs. This one sounds like a classic TOP song with it’s sound, but it’s notable because it’s a love song- which, is not usually a notable thing, but TOP is known for *not writing love songs. And of course, he mentions that fact in the lyrics in his typical meta way. He even says “I know they think it’s messed up to sell out for your girl” because people do appreciate them for the fact that they’re not all just love songs. It’s honestly just a really sweet song, and reminds me a lot more of their album Vessel. As much as I loved the Blurryface album, in a way, the popularity of it has makes it feel different than their previous. Also, I like that he’s not trying to prove his manliness by threatening to beat guys up and isn’t the type to go looking for that, while also acknowledging the fact that he’d probably be the one to lose the fight- it’s a “slick song” as he says, ticking a lot of stereotypical boxes, but he does it in a way that feels acceptable rather than annoying. If more of the “I wanna protect my girl” songs had less peacock bravado to them, I think that’d be a nice move for the music industry. I also really like the song Morph and how different that one sounds, but that one seems to have been a lot more popular and I didn’t want to put a song on here that you’d have to hear on the radio constantly. I won’t bother putting it on outtakes either because I’m sure you’ll hear it if you haven’t already.



Wayne's Picks:


Daydream in Blue by I Monster. I've been holding on to this one for a while. I love the vocoder/robot voice part. It's very Air, but I love their style anyway, so I dont care if it's derivative. I also like the layer of cinematic strings in the background.

Night and Day by Everything but the Girl. A lovely cover of one of my favorite Cole Porter songs. Just classy and chill.

Colors by Beck. This song was in the promo videos at Adobe Max. I didn't realize it was Beck till after the conference, but it makes sense since he performed at the conference (though I missed him because of TBBT). Its a great sing, and just another example of how Beck is an always-surprising musical genre-defier.

Thoughts:

Sofia: I liked Daydream pretty quickly. It just has a great vibe and the stuff they used on top of it makes it sound so cool.

Night and Day sounds so familiar! I went through the artist trying to figure out what song I knew of them but their main hit didn't sound especially familiar. In fact, I tried listening to a number of songs trying to figure out what it might be and I couldn't figure it out. It's a great song, though. It's so simple, and her voice is such a lovely dreamy overlay for the guitar. I think the guitar sounds reminds me of your, actually.

Colors does not sound like Beck! But I really like it to. The mixed up voices and the ethereal flute? Or chime? It sounds like some kind of keyboard setting. Not sure. It's a very lively and cheerful song, and it makes me happy.

Also, I'd forgotten about your outtake of One At The Time. What had you said about that?

Wayne: Just another song by Doe. I like it as much as Sincere, but since I already had Doe... outtakes it is. It reminds me of the 90's girl bands that I loved so much in college. Veruca Salt, Breeders, Throwing Muses,...

Sofia: Oh yeah, Sincere. Lol that makes sense.  I think you listen to a lot more girl bands than me. I definitely have a tendency towards male vocalists.

Wayne: Interesting.

Sofia: It's interested how segregated music can get, especially pop. Like there's "girl bands" and "boy bands" but bands of mixed genders seems less common than mixed gender duos.

Wayne: I wonder what the stats are on mixed gender duos who wind up marrying. White Stripes, Everything but the Girl, Captain and Tenneille, Sonny and Cher...

Sofia: Yeah that would be interesting to study. There's so many of them!

Wayne: I don't think the bird and the bee are a couple, despite the name.

Sofia: Hmm, good point.

Wayne: Rico. This is just a super fun happy song, kind of in the same category as Pharrell's Happy, but with multiculturalism! To me the highlights of this song are the steel drums and the call-and-response chorus.

Suicide Doors. I think you showed me the video for this, or maybe a different song from this artist. Love the chorus. Definitely more somber subject matter.

Smithereens. Cool vibe. Love the last chord of the chorus. Gotta admit, the "for you" I hear as "fuck you," like in that paul mccartney song. "Fuh you," that is.

Comments

Popular Posts