Green Mixtape 11: May

This month I turned 23! And I graduated with my Bachelor's! And I moved back to Gainesville! What a time. This summer we're going to Costa Rica for 6 weeks, and I haven't decided whether/how I'm going to blog as we travel, but Green Mixtape posts are going to go on hiatus until August. I have some blog plans brewing, so I'm looking forward to being able to spend more time on my blog now that I'm not currently in school.

Green Mixtape
Green Mixtape Outtakes

Sofia:

Here Comes The Sun (cover) by Jacob Collier ft. dodie

Starting out my birthday month with a cover of one of my favorite Beatles songs! I’m sure I’ve talked about jacob Collier before, I discovered him at Okeechobee and I was so impressed that when it came to Bonnaroo, I intentionally skipped Lorde on the biggest stage (because I don’t care about her) to see him on the smallest stage. This guy already has two grammys for arrangement, and he’s so talented, he definitely deserves it. I think everyone should see him live, he’s amazing. Also dodie is a YouTuber and singer who I’ve been aware for awhile now, so it was cool to see her work with Jacob. I suggest experiencing this song through their video, because it’s great. This is such a fun reimagining of the song, I knew immediately that I would be adding it to our list.



Wayne: 

Beautiful cover. Cool non-traditional voice. And those harmonies! I like the middle part how he morphs into his own sound world and really makes the song his own before coming back. The modulation in the end bit is cool, if maybe a tad excessive. Yeah, speaking of excess in endings, I agree that the 2-minute outro in Passenger is asking a bit too much of the listener.

The Bottom of It by Fruit Bats

I'll follow up your noon-traditional vocals with another... I really dig Fruit Bats. I've had another song of theirs on deck to put on here, but I found this one and am giving it the go instead. I just like their sound and I find his voice interesting. I'll put the other song on outtakes in case you like this one.

Sofia: 

I like the sound of it, his vocals are quite fun. The guitar gives me a Beatles/McCartney vibe. This song is very calming, after listening to it for a few weeks, I quite like it.  I'll have to check out more of Fruit Bats because Absolute Loser is good too.

Have you seen the game of thrones song Matt Bellamy did? I'll put it on Outtakes.

Wayne:

No. Listening now- very muse-ish so far.

Sofia:

Yes it is. It's an interesting one.

Wayne:

I like Wolf at your Door.

Sofia:

Oh yeah, I like that one much more.

Coming Alive by Two Another

I randomly found this artist, I can't remember how, but I very much fell in love with their sound. My second favorite of theirs is Keeping Me Under, so I'll put that on Outtakes. But I love the chill intro that bleeds into a groovy sparkly vibe. I'm not sure what my overall musical mood has been this past month or so, but I feel like this song perfectly encapsulates it.

Wayne:

Boys in bands by Silver Sphere

It's catchy, got a good beat. I also like the subject. It's satisfyingly specific without being cliche. I wonder of the samples are from actual break-up voicemails, or were created for the song.

Sofia:

It's an interesting question. Yeah this song is cool. Quirky intro, smooth female vocals interchanged with weird voices and an interesting use of percussion. I'm struggling with good descriptors for this song, but I think it's interesting and fun and I like it.

Breathe Fire by Jarreau Vandal ft. Sam Wilis

This song kinda reminds me of Doncamatic by Gorillaz and Daley. I’ve added a lot of new music/artists to my Now playlist, so I almost had too many songs to pick from, and even from this artist I was trying to decide between this and Moonlight (I’ll put it on Outtakes).


Wayne:

Hydrocodone by Cuco

I love the vibe of this song. The slightly latin sound of it, the imagery of the lyrics, knowing that Cuco is this, like, 19 year old who makes songs on his laptop in his room, it's just a great combination.

Sofia:

It's so wild to me how many artists are younger than me now. It's always so impressive to me when they're already becoming successful and they're not out of their teens yet. Also the spotify bios are so random for the young ones. Idk if you pay attention to spotify bios, but the younger the artist is, the more likely that their spotify bio is just like completely random comments not even related to music. This song does have a good vibe, I'll have to check out some of his other stuff. Speaking of artists who are around my age:

Monsoon by Amber Mark ft. Mia Mark

She's another new obsession of mine. I really like the subtle use of the rain sounds, I think it's incorporated really well. I love her voice, and this song is a bit more chill, but some of her other songs have a really great groove to them and I just really enjoy the percussive way she uses instruments and the simplicity to her music. I put her song Lose My Cool on outtakes. Oh, and she's used excerpts of her mom in the song because her mom died and I think it's a really cool tribute to her.

Wayne:

I'm Probably Gonna Rock Your World by Logic

One of the reasons I love this song is the inclusion of the word probably. I love that a slo-jam song with so much confidence, includes that little shred of doubt. Its just a cool, chill song too.

Sofia:

You remember me talking about the rapper who did a song with the phone number of a suicide hotline as the title? That was Logic. I haven't really listened to much of his stuff though. I like the inclusion of the word probably. Chill song, but not really my thing.

Time in a Tree by Raleigh Ritchie

Guess what! Grey Worm can sing! I found this song today on youtube and was like.. is that…. yes, yes it is. And now I’ve already listened to the song several times because I really like it. He has a great voice! I’ve been getting in more R&B type stuff lately, and this fits pretty well in that. New fan of him! I need to listen to his album next.

Comments

Popular Posts