Green Mixtape 12: August

We begin again! This month was busy because of school starting up again. I left for a few days for a trip to West Virginia, my dad went straight into preplanning and then classes, and I applied to a few library jobs and went through the process to become a substitute for public schools in the county. Also most of our family got at least a little bit sick, so it's been a bit hectic.

Green Mixtape
Green Mixtape Outliers

Wayne:

Knights of Cydonia by Darlingside

Nothing to really say about this one, except maybe "play loud." lol The banjo is a nice touch, or it might be a mandolin.

Sofia:
I've always loved Knights of Cydonia, and this version is so etherial and different than the original, I love what they've done with it!

Wayne:
Yeah, great harmonies. Apparently that's that band's thing: ethereal harmonies.

Sofia:
Huh, that's interesting. Well, they've totally nailed it.

Pool by Dizzy Spells

This band I found randomly this summer and they only have like 4 songs and I already can’t wait until they come out with more. This song just has such a fun beat, and I love the changes how they vary throughout the song. So much of the music out in the world is love songs, I really enjoy it when the lyrics don’t sound the same as every other love song (You are pretty, I’m going crazy, blah blah blah). Every time they say “breathe in gotta breathe out” there’s this focus on like a ‘let’s just see what’ll happen’ rather than making this potential love story be the end all-be all for the singer’s life. Also I just love the line “cucumber-lime laugh."

Wayne:

Nina by Crumb

Already played this for you. Trippy.

Sofia:
Definitely more your type of song than mine, but it's fun. Just a bit too chill and ethereal for my taste.

Dopamine by Frac Moody

I played this for you already too. I love the sciency talk about Dopamine in the beginning, it's such a great little tidbit. The lyrics are pretty simple and repetitive, which usually isn't my style, but I just love the bass line and how catchy and groovy the entire song sounds.  

Wayne:
Yeah, good song.

Cyber Stockholm Syndrome by Rina Sawayama

Best piece of gloriously over-produced pop since Brain Invaderz. Love how the song evolves. Love the modulations in the last bit. Gabby was playing it in yearbook and the first part of the song wasn't particularly attention-grabbing. Solid, but sounds kinda like many current pop songs. But then it got to that last bit, and I was like whaaaa? and went over and looked at Gabby's phone to see what it was.


Sofia:
I like this! This song is really cool sounding. I definitely agree with your description of it. Ooo, the ending is really fun. Also the lyrics are super interesting, the name of the song totally makes sense.

Wayne:
The ending makes the song. She just takes it to another level. Yeah, she seems to be a savvy songwriter!

Comments

Popular Posts