Green Mixtape 14: October

Happy spooky month music! Does any month ever get less busy? I think not. Our musical choices weren't necessarily spooky this month, but they were still fun.


Green Mixtape
Green Mixtape Outliers

Sofia:

September Told Me by Juice

To start October, I’m going to give a song about “September” I had a hard time deciding between this one and the song of theirs that I first heard, so I put that one on outtakes. First of all, I love this guy’s voice. This song is really genre-bending too, which is always my favorite. You got this main singer with a smooth yearning voice, rapping, piano playing, and a fiddle solo, which seems really random, but goes together so well!

Wayne:

Tell Me by Haywyre


Sofia: Wait, have I told you about this song before?

Wayne: No, why? You know it?

Sofia: Haha yeah, I've had haywyre on my list of potential artists to share with you for ages. He's great, I love him. I've seen him twice- once at Okeechobee and once at Bonnaroo.

Wayne: He's the one I talked about when I mentioned a cool piano solo.

(We look back through our messages- here is his introduction to the song when he was deciding whether to put it on the playlist before telling me what it was):

I finally found the other song I was looking for, the one that's like Daft Punk with a smooth jazz piano solo in the middle. Some serious vocoder action too.

Sofia: Well, I totally understand why you mentioned a piano solo now! He actually has a music degree, so he writes all his music from improvising on the piano and finding something that sounds cool. If you haven't seen one of his music videos (I've posted them on facebook before) you def should. And lol yeah, that's so funny. I'd totally forgotten. And now that I'm re-listening, I totally hear the daft punk vibes. Hadn't really thought consciously about that before. All his new stuff is really great, but the first song I knew of his was Do You Don't You. I just put it on outtakes so that you can hear what initially got me interested in Haywyre. Would recommend listening to more of his stuff! I'd love to see him perform again.

Letter for God by Abhi The Nomad

This artist I believe was a Discover Weekly find. I don’t often look at that playlist, but I often find interesting stuff when I do. I like the beat throughout the song layered with his fast rapping and then the chill whistling, I think it’s cool. I feel like the whistling conveys a slow tempo, and I think the way that he’s played with speed in his layering and in the little guitar interludes is cool. I like how his voice completely stops to give the guitar solos, I like them. Also, you know I love a good lyric, and I really like the lyrics throughout this song. The chorus is great and thought provoking, the first verse has really cool imagery, and I love all the questions and thoughts that appear in the other verses. I just think it’s a really fascinating song.

Wayne:

Presence (translated title) by Shintaro Sakamoto

I've had this song kicking around in my saved playlist, and thought id go ahead and throw it in. Good Japanese pop. Nice drums and percussion. I also like the bridge at 1:42. And the marimba solo just makes me happy. Not sure how to write the title, because its in Japanese.

Sofia:

CIRCLES by Kid Bloom ft. Bekon

Kid Bloom was a discover weekly find from back in May, and I finally started listening to the rest of their music last month and I’ve had a hard time trying to decide which song of their to put as my choice, but I went with this one. I love the long intro slowly layering the background with instrumentals. I love his voice, I’ve always been partial to male vocalists, and that definitely shows in my recommendations. Also just love instruments. The piano in this is fairly simple, but it just goes so well. And the sound of his voice layered with the sound of the background voices, I really enjoy how they enhance each other. Parents House was the first song I’ve heard of theirs, and I think I’ve played it for you before but also I stuck it in Outtakes.

Wayne: I love it! It sounds like a 50s song. I really love the bridge at 1:40

Sofia: It has a great vintage-y sound

Wayne:

Menace by Actionesse

Great little headbanger. The distinctive element is the brass, which gives it a vibe of "if band kids made heavy metal, it might sound like this."

Sofia: Ooooo, I love your description, it's so accurate. Heavy metal brass is never something I knew I needed, but this is just so much fun! Their spotify bio says "seattle post-horncore." Haha, what a cool addition!

Creme de la creme by Evalyn

This is a much more poppy-addition than the horncore, but I quite like the sound of this artist. So I gotta admit, my favorite aspect to this song is that she sings “my god is trans” which is just a great line. Not sure what else to say about it, I just like it.

Wayne:

Nothing Else by Chong the Nomad

I like how this song starts out very minimal and then by the chorus becomes this crazy, crunchy distorted synthesizer jam.

Sofia: This is so much fun, the synth is so quirky!

Comments

Popular Posts