The Ultimate Green Mixtape: 2019 Year in Review

Just like last year, we have gone through all of the songs we've recommended this past year and picked out favorite 5 from the other person! Our 10 combined favorites from each year are collected together in a playlist, so if are regular Green Mixtape playlists are overwhelming to you because of how many songs are on it, check this one out to hear the cream of the crop!

The Ultimate Green Mixtape

Sofia's Faves (from Wayne):

Don't Fuck With My Money by Mystery Skulls
Lonely Town by Vulfpeck ft Theo Katzman
Tell Me by Haywyre

Easily by Bruno Major
Something For Your M.I.N.D by Superorganism

Sofia:

I really love Mystery Skulls, and you almost didn't put this song on our playlist. I've had their entire album on my giant "music I'm currently listening to" playlist (I listen daily to a shuffled playlist of 400+ songs). This song I'm just absolutely obsessed with. Dare I name it my favorite song of yours from this year?

Of these five, Vulfpeck is definitely the artist of yours who had the biggest affect on my listening habits in 2019. Considering Vulfpeck was your "top artist of the year" according to Spotify, I'm pretty confident we both spent a lot of time listening to Vulfpeck. Darwin Derby (such a bop!), from our Outtakes playlist, was my favorite song of theirs. It was in my top songs playlist according to Spotify, so apparently their stats computers are noticing the time we've spent listening to Vulfpeck.

It makes me so happy that you discovered an artist that I'd been meaning to share with you for ages, and had on my list but hadn't gotten around to adding him to our mixtape yet. Haywyre is just so gosh dang talented, I love his music, and I love watching him perform, both live and in his music videos. He's great.

Bruno Major was unique for me because I'm really picky about most chill music and tend to listen to upbeat or up-tempo music most of the time. I very much enjoy him and also admire how he wrote his album by writing a song each month for a year because I think that's interesting for an album.

Superorganism is super weird and ridiculous sounding and you always gotta have a couple weird artists around to spice things up a bit, even if it causes your family to complain that our playlist is weird. Which, it is- but c'mon, weird is fun!

Wayne:

Not surprised at all that Bruno Major made your list. That was one that I instantly thought "Sofia will like this one." Funny that Mystery Skulls was such a favorite. I mean, it's great, but it's a bit more disco than I thought you'd like. Something for your M.I.N.D. I think I almost didn't put that one on because I felt like it was too weird. I think I pegged it as outtakes-worthy but you said I should put it on the regular playlist. It is fun. I'll always picture whales and broccoli when I hear it, because of the video.

Wayne's Faves (from Sofia):

Tick of Time by The Kooks
Apologize by grandson
Miracle by Caravan Palace
Shouldn't be Sorry by Cards
Circles by Kid Bloom

Wayne:

Tick of Time reminds me of Franz Ferdinand, which also reminds me of Steve. It's got a 90's sound to it, some of The Proclaimers-style back and forth. I could picture Steve and I learning it and doing it at an open-mic. That's why I picked it.

I was torn between Apologize and Good Times Roll. Either one could have made the cut, but I went with Apologize for no particular reason.

Miracle wasn't an instant love, but it quickly grew on me, and it didn't take long before I was listening to it over and over. The groovy baseline is still one of my favorites.

You know I have a "type," and Shouldn't be Sorry is totally it.

Circles. One of the best bridges. The rest of it's great too, in a 50's ballad kinda way.

Sofia: 

I would go back in forth between adding songs I've been listening to for years, songs I've been listening to for several months, and songs I discovered the day before I put them on the playlist. So it makes me happy that my very first addition of 2019 was from one of my all-time favorite albums. Tick of Time is imperfectly perfect and I love it. I saw grandson as an opener for a show in Orlando. Caravan Palace I feel like just keeps getting better and better with every album, and I would say that we both spent the most time listening to them out of any of the artists I added to the playlist this year. We had both listened to Caravan Palace before though, so it's not too surprising. Shout out to my Teen Librarian when I volunteered at the public library during high school, because he was the one that introduced us to Caravan Palace. I've known about Caravan Palace for as long as I've known I wanted to be a librarian (if not longer)! The song from Cards I knew you would like as soon as I heard it. And Kid Bloom was a really fun artist I discovered this year, so I'm glad you enjoyed them too!


And with these selections, our OG Green Mixtape will have become a finished playlist and we'll begin a new playlist for the new year- Green Mixtape 2020, starting this January!

Listen to Green Mixtape, now titled OG Green Mixtape, here and listen to our Green Mixtape Outtakes here. New beginnings for a new decade- see you on the flip side!

Comments

Popular Posts