Sofia's 2nd CD (my music-listening history)

I was a weird child. I didn't really listen to any music for a long time. Which is totally weird, because I'm pretty much obsessed with music now. What I listened to when I was super little was Barney CDs and then The Beatles. And I guess NPR. Yes, I'm admitting to the Barney CDs. To my defense, Barney was a good show. Not like all the Disney crap and whatever the kids now watch. Imagination and friends and kindness and sharing, guys. That's the important stuff.

So yeah, I listened to The Beatles and whatever else my parents played (which likely included a lot of NPR, like I said, because they still listen to NPR daily). I think it definitly has affected my musical tendencies that I didn't grow up listening to the Top 40 type of radio, but it's just weird, because I didn't listen to music at all on my own. This was me, I lived this, and I can barely even fathom it.

At some point (possibly 3rd grade?) my parents bought me a CD player/stereo. It was blue and round. And my dad made me a CD playlist. There was Sofia's CD and then later, a Sofia's 2nd CD. Not sure about exact years, but in 4th grade I can remember listening to the 2nd one a lot. My parents got an iPod for the family in middle school (I believe), and I got my iPod Classic and a new stereo in the end of February 2010, during 8th grade.

Let me tell you, my iPod and stereo combo are two of the most important items in my room. I would hate to not have music to be able to play every day. While listening to music with headphones is great, it's also super convenient to have a stereo. And now that I have my computer, I can leave my stereo in my room at home and use my computer and iPod while in my dorm at college. Here in Panama, I have a nice little travel stereo for my iPod. I love having a stereo and iPod in my room.

I mentioned when I got my iPod is.... yes, for an electronic, it's totally old (just over 5 years, now!). But it's a Classic! C'mon, Apple. These are the best iPods, why don't they make and sell them anymore? I hear that people are selling them for a lot of money now, but I'm totally not giving up mine. Most people just put music on their phone or listens to spotify, but nothing beats having an iPod that's just music and with a ton of space, even if the battery doesn't last of a very long time.

I have 13,044 songs. If you're wondering, that translates to 34 days of music and 94.15 GB. You might have a few questions. Let me guess. How do you have this much music? My parents, other friends, the library, and free. The free music is actually something I wrote about here, but it's humorously (but only slightly) outdated. Like, iTunes's canceled their weekly free music, and Spotify is totally a great streaming option, and yeah, you could totally convert YouTube files but I wouldn't know how to do that of course....

I'm a bit of a free-music-addict so I download all the free music off of Google Play, even if it's heavy metal or rap. I'm like a musical girl scout. I want to be prepared for any musical necessity. I think the other big question, is do I listen to all my music? Okay, okay, no, I haven't listened to everything, but I kinda just answered that. I have music in case I (or someone else) want to listen to it, and I don't delete it. And it is cool, to discover music that I have. I can look through my musical library and find something new. Or, since music tastes change, something I didn't really listen to at one point can become a totally awesome find later. Plus you never know what you're going to get when you put the whole thing on shuffle. It's quite exciting.

So now, to talk about actual music. When I got my iPod is when I started directing my musical tastes for myself, and I started off with stuff my parents had that I liked. Namely, The Beatles and Queen. Since I really only just had these, I got quite familiar with them, especially the entire Beatles catalog. I'm not a superfan, but I do know a lot of Beatles songs. Not just the greatest hits. Which made it funny to read this and this because Hey Bulldog has been one of my faves since I was really little, and I've Just Seen A Face a fave since this time in 8th grade. What can I say, I think a lot of songs are underrated too.

Obviously, my musical taste has greatly increased, and I every since I started liking more than five bands, I haven't been able to pick a top five. Muse was the 3rd band that I really liked a lot, and like the first two, I still like them a lot to this day. My favorite genres are alternative/indie/rock/pop-punk/latin, but I've found that I like a least one song from almost every genre. And useful as genres are, labels are such a putting-you-in-a-box kind of thing. If I had to pick my top 10 artists for right now, in no particular order, I would probably say:

The Beatles, Muse, Panic! At the Disco, The 1975, San Cisco, Fall Out Boy, 5 Seconds of Summer, George Ezra, Twenty One Pilots, and Andy Grammer.

I really do hate having to leave so many bands off the list, though. But saying 30 bands wouldn't be a very exclusive-top-favorites list if I don't give them any order. So yeah, those are my top 10 for now. Beatles and Muse are still there, while Queen would probably be in the next 10.

So now, what we've all been waiting for. I have transcribed the songs off my 2nd CD and am sharing the list with you. Since my dad made it for me, and he's the more musical one of my parents, it probably comes to no surprise that my music taste and my dad's has lot of overlap. Some of the songs on the list are rather strange, but some of them I still listen to and feel like the epitome of my childhood. There's some good stuff on here! For that matter, check out everything else I've mentioned in this blog. I love all this music.

Sofia's 2nd CD

Kiss Me (acoustic) by Sixpence None the Richer
Love Shack by The B-52s
Where It's At by Beck
Honey by Moby 
Whistle Stop by Roger Miller
Sesame's Treet by Smart E's 
Banana Splits (The Tra La La Song) by the Dickies 
Fight Song by UF Marching Gator Band
Bulbous Bouffant by Radio Free Vestibule
Hellow Muddah, Hello Fadduh by Allen Sherman
Yoda by Weird Al Yankovic 
1-2-3 Sesame Street (Remix) by Stevie Wonder
Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer
Don't Dream It's Over by Sixpence None The Richer
Breathe Your Name by Sixpence None The Richer
Mama's Little Girl by Paul McCartney
For You Blue by The Beatles
Two Of Us by The Beatles
All My Life (cover) by Chantal Kreviazuk
No Matter What by Badfinger 
Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz
This Love by Maroon 5
Funkytown by Lips Inc.

Extra music that totally reminds me of my childhood/home/is a fave that you should check out (except all their music is good, so totally check out the full albums. Picking singles is hard):

Here, There, and Everywhere by The Beatles
Can't Take My Eyes Off You by Frankie Vallie -OR- Muse's cover
Find My Love by Fairground Attraction
Starlight by Muse
You're My Best Friend by Queen
Ready To Go (Get Me Out Of My Mind) by Panic! At the Disco
New Perspective by Panic! At the Disco
Screen by Twenty One Pilots
Chocolate by The 1975
Budapest by George Ezra
Forever by Andy Grammer
Fred Astaire by San Cisco
Social Casualty by 5 Seconds of Summer
I Don't Care by Fall Out Boy

-Some of these bands are on the radio, but you should always hear the stuff that isn't necessary on the radio too, before you decide if you like them or not. Or just ignore the radio and listen at random, carving your own music listening journey. The top 10 radio is totally 100% overrated.

See ya!

Comments

  1. Hello muddah hello faddah was actually by Allen Sherman. Dr. Demento was a DJ who played novelty songs, so I got the song from a compilation album of Dr. Demento's favorites. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts