The worst part about braces

You always hear sooo many things about the experience of having braces. And they're mostly all true, to a degree. I can a few years before I got them, other people in my grade had them, and I needed them but didn't have them, and I could only think, I DO want them and even if they're annoying, I think I'll look nice with them.

On the 15th it'll be my 1 year anniversary of having braces. I can remember this date because it was the day after Valentine's so Idk, it was just memorable. Here's my year's experience.

The PAIN. No pain, no gain definitely works when you're talking about braces. I couldn't eat harder foods for a week after I first got them. If you get them, eat a big meal RIGHT BEFORE getting them. You can thank me later. The appointments when they tighten them really don't hurt that bad, however. Unless they're doing something big with your teeth, but then it only hurts for a day or two and eating food isn't too affected.

It isn't a normal pain, though. With most parts of your body, you can just massage them when they hurt or easy stuff like that. I can't swallow pills. I have had loads of people tell me "Oh, just do this" "why can't you, it's easy?!" and things like that. No. Just stop. Give me new suggestions if you want, but chastising me won't help anything. When your teeth hurt really bad, the ache is deep and all you want to do is pull your teeth out or punch your mouth or something. And the insides of gel pills are really nasty. But that means I'm using a shot glass for something useful (it's not like I  actually use it for anything else).

The wounds! Yes, you'll get them. The inside of your mouth will get cut up. Use your wax, ask for more, just do it. And if the wire is poking at the end, it means your teeth have moved and you need to get your wire trimmed.

Gadgets. Wax, use that. Rubber bands... People always talk about how they don't actually use them. Just put them in when you have to, don't make your time in braces any longer than you have to. And if you're not gonna floss (it's a total pain) then get a water pick or such like and make your Ortho happy.

Ya got somethin in yo teeth! That's annoying. But you get used to it. Take the little brushes then give you and don't forget to brush your teeth either.

And the worst part. If you're not a brass player, this will not affect you, but my gosh. It is so sad. I had a lovely tone on my trumpet. After braces, not only do you have to get used to the differences for playing music, but the pressure of the mouthpiece cuts, your range suffers, and your tone will suck. I call it "sounding like metal." Oh the irony because brass is metal and so you sound "like" metal anyways.... but no. It gets all fuzzy and crackly and just sounds terrible most of the time. Some days sound better than others, but in general, it's a disappointment. Even though I still enjoy playing trumpet, the pain and disappointment makes so that I don't want to play trumpet most of the time. It never turns out quite as well than it could have. But I realized just this past week that even with all that, I really really like playing music on my trumpet. And so I wait and hope for the day when I can play music happily again.
~See Ya Someday!

Comments

Popular Posts