Hemingway's 6-word Challenge

Happy April Fools and all. I don't have any great joke to play on you, but here's today's post-

If you know Hemingway, you know how condensed he wrote. Never wasted a word, according to English teachers everywhere. I don't agree, I much rather a bit of wordyness and imagery than his dry tales. But I'm too wordy myself (according to notes on all my essays) so it's no wonder I don't like his work too much.

But there's one cool thing about him. Well, there's more, because he was actually a pretty cool person, but this was the coolest. Somebody challenged him to write a short story in 10 words or less. He was like, I can do it in 6! And here it is:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

Wow. Depressing, right? On the spot, I came up with this one:

Hot air balloon, gas out. Falling.

Not sure about the punctuation. But whatever. Our task was to write who we are in 6 words and then decorate the paper so she could post them on her wall. I took a picture of mine. Like it? Agree?
~See ya someday!

[Indecisive, outgoing introvert and her music]

Comments

Popular Posts