Archives: One Heck of a Weekend (2011)

Not yesterday, but last weekend I went on our band's annual Daytona beach trip. It was my third time, as I am finishing up my junior year. But two years ago, I started writing a post about my first Daytona beach band trip (that included my birthday) and I never posted nor finished it! I wanted to post it now, but let me just say NOW: opinions and friendships and various things have changed slightly in the past two years, so think of this as an old diary post type thing and feel free to laugh at how childish I was. *smirk*

Last Saturday was my 15th Birthday. And that weekend was also the GHS Band's Annual Daytona Beach Trip. So this is how it went! 
 
May 6th:
Had school. Ugh. borrrring! But after school we all got in the band room with our stuff, ready to go.  And besides some minor yearbook drama, *cough cough Brian* nothing really of any importance happened.

We got onto the 2 school buses we had got for the trip and were off! The trip seemed to take forever but we amused ourselves with iPods, texting from across the bus, and the like. Then we got to Volusia Mall where we ate in the food court and I got a second piercing in my ears for an early birthday present. :)

Then we got BACK on the buses and arrived at our hotel-on-the-beach. We checked in and got into the freezing pool in the dark (the pool had cool color-changing lights under water). Then we all squashed into the slightly-less-than-freezing hot tub (I didn't notice the out of order sign until the next day). Eventually we got back to our rooms and went to sleep... Time varies per room.

May 7th: Happy Birthday to me!
I woke up to the alarm I set and various birthday texts including a message announcing I had a new cousin...once removed, I think (I can never remember the different titles). I texted my mom to ask who's baby it was and she replied something to the effect of "isn't it great!" Well, sure, but who is this baby that is now sharing my birthday? Kix Daniel... Steven's baby. I won't pass judgement on the, shall we say, unique, name, but I think I would like to call him Danny.

Morgan, Jordan, and I (that was our room) had the HEALTHY breakfast of pop-tarts (I think they were of the s'more variety) and 1/3 of a coke. We headed down to the beach together with Nikki, Lucia, and Dayna had played in the water. Then we all had Easy Mac for lunch and went over at the souvenir shop across the street. We found a purple personalized tooth brush with the name Alan on it (the clarinet senior and section leader) and that was pretty much all that we got. We went back to the pool deck for roll call (did anyone die yet?) and Alan got a new toothbrush. He seemed amused. After, we headed back to our room to have lunch part 2 and played cards.

Now, between lunch part 2 and dinner, the six of us constantly were going different places together, so I'm not sure how it went. But I think we went back down to the ocean, pool/lukewarm tub, then tanning/avoiding getting burned (I think I was pretty successful this trip: only a tiny bit of my legs, barely my nose, and my shoulders got burned) before we came back to our room to get ready for a catered dinner in the Atlantic Room. Unplanned, Nikki and Jordan were matching almost exactly. So off we went to dinner!

We ended up with the six of us and Alan at our table, much to the immediate notice of everyone else who entered the room. Seeing as we were on of the first, that was pretty much the whole group of our band who came. Which was about 90 people. I can understand how Alan wanted a break from the crazy people he usually sits with. But it was still kinda odd. Since Mr. Pirzer overheard Logan being sexist some time or another, Logan had to help serve food. To EVERYONE! :) That was great. After dinner, he made me come to the middle of the room where, thankfully, I didn't have to do birthday push-ups,  but where everyone was told to sing in their worst voices. Then he turned me around and I was soooo surprised (was I? Not really.) to find a cake. I failed slightly in blowing out my candles and everyone had cake. Tyler was encouraged by my table-mates to serenade me and so I got his version of Dancing Queen by ABBA. That was hilarious.
...and that was all I wrote!

But I won't leave ya hanging. The rest of the night was pretty uneventful. The girls straightened my hair, we hung out at the pool, and then we went to bed relatively early compared to some other kids. The next day, we hung out at the beach and pool for the morning, then we packed up and left. I remember playing Fruit Ninja on Ariel's iPhone, but nothing else memorable happened.

I am, however, still good friends with pretty much everyone I mentioned, and I hold that weekend in fond memories. :) And, I promise that I did not change anything from what I wrote two years ago. Oh, and I don't think I mentioned, but for a little while after, people would (annoying) call us Alan's angels. Umm, yeah, no thanks.

Anyhoo, summer's almost here! That means more blog posts right? Right.

-See ya someday

Comments

Popular Posts