The Beatles (White Album) [Disc 2] Song 1

That's a really cryptic way of saying, Today's My Birthday! :D

If you didn't get it, look it up. Good song, that.

I hate when people say things, pretending that they mean it, and don't mean it. It's okay to say something and obviously not mean it (Helllooo sarcasm!) but this kind of thing bugs me. Especially with compliments and the like. If you don't want to compliment me, okay, but don't fake compliment me! Also, this happens with gifts.

People say that it's the thought that counts. But people also say that no, they really just want a gift even though they say "Aww, you don't have to/ You shouldn't have/etc." Yeah, I know, I do this myself sometimes. Especially with ya know, family, best friends, and people that come to your parties. Except in this way, it's a balance. They always give you gifts, you always give family, best friends, and people who's parties you go to gifts. The family gifts when you're young can get complicated because then your parents can't necessarily help you get them, but that's beside the point.

With other people however, the intent is most important. BY ALL MEANS, get me a gift for my birthday, I'll give you one for yours, and maybe we'll even become closer friends in the process. I'm not saying that I shouldn't get any presents.

What I am saying is, even if you don't get me a present, even though you say you will, the fact that you want to makes me most happy. You care. Some would say that it's the actual getting of a present that shows you care, and well yeah, but that just means you care...more. There's power in thoughts. And so if you think that you're wanting to get me a present, I appreciate you even thinking it.

Here's a story. This Valentine's Day, one of the freshman in my percussion class told us that he was going to buy a rose for every girl in the class. He even took down our full names and first period teachers to do it. I don't think any of us got a rose from him, but that's okay. The roses were kinda expensive and there were a good number of girls in the class. But he wanted to. He intended to. And I totally respected and appreciated him for wanting to get us roses, even if he never did.

Don't think this is a road map for how I want gifts. YOU do what YOU want. But I just wanted to show how I appreciate each gift, material or not. Every smile is a a gift, every moment of happiness, and I welcome it all.

 And so, happy birthday to me and a great day to you!

 Love,
           Sofia

Comments

Popular Posts