It All Starts Now

Tuesday:

I like transportation. I think flights and car trips are great. I want to someday take a long train ride or ship (Carnival Cruise not necessary). I don't remember ever being afraid of these things. I flew alone when I was 10. And we cheered when my dad told us we were going to have a short layover at JFK (New York), because,  c'mon, JFK airport? That's awesome.

I haven't flown since June 2010. It's been too long.

We got to the airport around 1:20 today. Our flight was at 4:12. After going through security and everything we still had some time to kill. We wandered, my mom slept, and my dad blogged.

First flight: 2hrs, MCO to JFK. The Delta safety video was pretty hilarious. Take off is one of the most exciting things. That and landing. So awesome. I went through all the music they had in their system (one of the few things you don't have to pay for). Not much appealed to me. They were REALLY pushing this new artist, Sam Smith, a lot. Especially on the 2nd flight.

Second flight: 8 hrs, JFK to AMS. Flight attendant was very personable. There was basically unlimited free movies/tv shows/games. I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Way Way Back, and 2 episodes of Hitrecord on TV. The meals were surprisingly good, though eating breakfast at what felt like 2 am was practically a force-feed. I got about 3 hours of sleep. The night before I'd gotten about 3 too. It was 10ish local time when we arrived in Amsterdam. Going through customs, my dad lost his yogurt, and I managed to get a pat down. Great. No idea why I beeped, but I did, and I received the incredibly awkward experience while I tried not to laugh at the absurdity of the situation.

Wednesday:

Third flight: 1.5 hrs, AMS to CPH. Short flight. Pretty old school type of plane. There weren't any seat screens. It was smaller, too. Very sleepy and unexciting.

Once we got to the airport, we got our rental car. It was a fancy BMW black car. There's a button rather than a key. Pfft. Fancy. Our gps suddenly didn't work, so we hit a road and hoped for the best.

We were on the right road. We stopped at a truck stop place on the side of the road, got food & a map, and thank god the lady there knew English. It was definitely a culture shock a little there. None of us knew the language. It was like a truck stop, but they made legit food there, and as should be expected when in Denmark, it was expensive.

Finally we made it to Århus. We were all so tired we were falling asleep in the car but trying not to (so we could sleep the night) and trying to figure out Denmark and roads and things. But we made it to Ida and her family, who were just coming back from Freddie's birthday dinner. We got to spend some time with them, gave a few presents, and then we had strawberries and cream with Elderflower juice. So good. Too soon, we had to leave,  but we will be back July 31st.

I most definitely fell asleep on the way to Hals. We spent some time getting upacked and talking with Marion and Harold, had some awesome broccoli soup and cake, I got a freezing shower (small water heater) & then fell to bed.

It is currently Friday night, and I've written about everything til now, but in order to organize these blogs in a way that makes sense, I'll post the Hals blog right before we leave. Never fear! It will be up! Keep looking back here, or sign up on the sidebar to get an email every time I post. Thanks for reading!

See ya!

Comments

Popular Posts