Green Mixtape 6: Last additions of the year!

This will be our last addition to the mixtape for 2018, and then we're going to be shifting it slightly (but that won't change the blog posts). Rather than giving each other 3 songs at a time, we're going to send one song at a time, but I think I'll wait til either 2 or 3 songs from each of us have accumulated to post a blog about our songs.

It's been a pretty cool experience to be building these playlists together! So, for our final additions for the year, here's what we got.

Green Mixtape

Green Mixtape Outtakes

Sofia's Picks:


Only You & Me by Lack of Afro (feat. Wax, Alyssa Marie & Camila Recchio)
Okay so I may be cheating a little bit with this one because two of the features (Wax and Camila) I’ve put in songs before, but I had this song stuck in my head for several days because it’s so danceable and optimistic and it just makes me happy and I can’t stop listening to it. Also, I’m still obsessed with Camila Recchio’s voice and the whole network of artists she’s connected to and tours/records/is friends with. I think out of the entire music industry, I would love to be in that friend group of creatives. The strings really add to the disco-feel to the song. 


Lover Boy by Phum Viphurit
I love the bass in this one. I’d seen the video thumbnail being suggested to me but I never clicked on it until Katrina showed it to me because she had been listening to it. It’s super cute- the video and the song. I also just want to continuously be dancing to this song. It also keeps getting stuck in my head. I love the transitions throughout this song and there’s this section in the middle that reminds me of Fairground Attraction with the vintage-y sound. I love how this song was melodically built. 


Good to Be Home by Barney Artist, Tom Misch, Loyle Carner, Rebel Kleff
I think your april showers - dancing football player from last year would like this song. I’d added this song to my list because it popped up in my new releases because I listen to Tom Misch. After playing the Spotify playlist of “Lofi Beats” because you suggested something chill after the Pumpkin Spice playlist was meh it reminded of Chillhop. Proleter is like electro swing / chillhop and I love the formation of this new genre as a collaboration of various genres. It’s become really popular in the past few years and I feel like this is a solid example of the genre. Also Barney Artist did a recording with Skinny Living of him adding onto one of their songs, and I Skinny Living is one of my favorite bands, so of course I’d recognize his name despite not having previously listened to his own music.



Wayne's Picks:



Arms Length by Mellor
Going to Glasgow for the star wars thing, Steve's brother Brandon drove. On the way back, I sat in the front. Brandon played  music, much of which I recognized from high school (bands that he was really into then, like The Cult, Beastie Boys, and Sisters of Mercy). It was cool and comforting to hear him playing the same music I remembered him liking back then. We always kinda looked up to branding, since he was older and seemingly cooler than us. Anyway, Arms Length was on his Spotify playlist or station, and even though its a newer song, I liked the sound of it. It fit right in with the other Brandon songs.

Bonfires on the Heath by The Clientele
No surprise that I love this band. Between the jangly guitars, the lap steel, and the atmospheric harmonies, this song is big time dreamlike. You've been posting a lot of upbeat danceable songs, so I thought I'd throw this one in for balance. It may be chill and dreamy, but not at all dark and moody. All three of my contributions have a Scotland-trip connection. Bonfires on the Heath I heard on a playlist Steve was playing while we were cooking together. I knew The Clientele from a movie soundtrack, but I hadn't heard this song.

Music to Watch Girls By by Andy Williams
Steve and I went to a swanky coffee bar in Edinburgh called Brewhemia (bar downstairs, coffee upstairs). This song played while we were there. So swinging 60s. It's one of those songs that sounds super familiar, but I couldn't have told you the name of it for my life. Thanks Soundhound!

Thoughts:


Wayne: Only you and me...yes, very disco. Which I'm a sucker for. But disco with rap = modern. Nice happy track.

Lover boy, I also noticed the bass immediately. Very retro, funky vibe. I forgot that we exposed you to fairground attraction. I'm bobbing my head on the plane right now listening to lover boy. But not too wildly, as not to disturb my row mates.

Good to be home. Rap with a British accent is always fun. Appropriate that I'm re-listening and writing about this song while literally flying home.

Sofia: Mellor sounds really familiar to me. Reminds me a lot of Catfish & The Bottleman or The Kooks. I'm not sure if I've shared those bands with you before, so that might have to be some of my next recommendations because I love them a lot. This is an instant like for me too.

Oh yeah, Bonfires instantly reminds me of the Beatles, although that might not be what everyone instantly assumes. Something about the chord progressions and harmonies really makes that connection. Yeah, I definitely have been giving a lot of upbeat suggestions, but my musical listening tendencies tend to be more  more active and exciting than chill and harmonic.

Lol, I love how the intro makes you think of muzak. That's probably why it sounds so familiar to you! It's definitely fun and retro sounding. I enjoy this song a lot.

Comments

Popular Posts