The Green Mixtape 5: 100!

This may be only the 5th blog post about our playlist, but we've been doing it for a good part of this year and as of this post, our playlist has officially past 100 songs! Woo hoo!

Green Mixtape

Green Mixtape Outtakes

Sofia's Picks


Frustrated by r.lum.r
Fun fact- r.lum.r is from bradenton! He goes by r.lum.r because it’s pieces of his name but he also like the r on both sides because of representing his past and future. I had no idea who he was until Bonnaroo this summer. My friend Ryan wanted to go see him but most of our group ended up staying at the campsite that evening and going to bed early. It was only Anna and I that made it back out into Centeroo and so we saw r.lum.r together (without Ryan) and then I’m pretty sure we went back to go to bed because we were both quite tired. It was Thursday, so going to bed around 1am was pretty reasonable. Anyways, when I went to Orlando, Ryan played this song for me which reminded me to listen to him. This sound starts off very dramatically with a whoosh and I feel like the song maintains a feeling of intensity throughout. His falsetto is really impressive.

Mystik by Tash Sultana
So I have another complicated story with this artist. When we flew into Italy, we had tickets to see her perform (I had no idea what she sounded like) but my friend’s suitcase (with his performing equipment) was sent to Scandinavia by accident (it was a whole mess) and then we had a difficult time getting into the city from the airport and so we ended up missing most of the concert because of how long everything took. Then she was at Bonnaroo this past summer, but for some reason, I ended up missing that too. Basically, it’s taken me over a year to actually get around to listening to her stuff on my own, but I finally did it! She is very talented. Her voice has a really breathy but full sound to it together with the warbly melody sounds really nice.

Killer Queen (cover) by 5 Seconds of Summer
Couldn’t not do a Queen related song! This was created in a trio of songs by Queen covered by different artists for the release of the movie, and 5SOS has already been my guilty pleasure band, but I really like this cover. I really like the Killer Queen tribute album of various artists that we’d found years ago. The world never needs more covers of things, but sometimes a cover is legitimately good, and you can’t help but appreciate a good cover. In creating this, they obviously didn’t record on a 24 track, but the four of them did all sing, and they did it all 6 times for the different overlays, and thus they recreated the format of the 24 track as per the actual production of this song, so I really appreciated the work they did in covering this song. You can also totally hear their own flair in how they recreated it, and that makes the cover not boring, so overall I just really liked this and thought that they did justice to it. Anyone can cover any song they want, but not everyone should be allowed to produce a cover and release it unless they’ve been able to bring something new to the table. We have a few covers already on this playlist, which is nice, because what is originality anyways? But if you can make a cover that is worthy of listening to instead of only listening to the original, that’s always a good sign to me in terms of the artist themselves.

Wayne's Picks


Cupid by The Big Moon
It starts out slow, with nice jazzy guitar, then a taste of heavier things to come with the "tighten the string" line, and finally this wall-of-sound type chorus with appealing chord changes.  Just an all-around solid song, with just enough gender-ambiguous lyrics to make it interesting.

One Life Stand by Hot Chip
Starts off with a good beat, but nothing super interesting going on. Till the chorus. Then I was hooked. Kinda has an 80's Depeche Mode vibe.

The Answer by UNKLE/Trentemoller
I suppose it's a slight cheat to include this since I've posted another song by UNKLE, but since this is technically UNKLE with Trentemoller, I'm excusing it. I was never goth per se,  but I've airways liked mournful sounding music. Maybe it's cathartic, maybe it just emotes in a way that I find appealing. The lyrics of this song aren't particularly depressing, but those 4 mournful piano chords... my God, so gorgeous and powerful. The song slowly builds up, so huge and almost spiritual. The lyrics are a bit of a poem, open to interpretation, which perhaps makes the title ironic. Still trying to wrap my head around "better days with a headache." If the song sounds familiar, it's in the trailer for "Wildlife."

Thoughts:

Sofia: I feel like I start out most of my responses with an agreement of liking the songs you post but I like Cupid. When you mentioned gender ambiguous, I went off and looked at the lyrics. I always appreciate it when a song lives outside of the hetero-binaric realm (I just looked it up and binaric isn't techncially a word but today it shall be). I approve!

I've always been a sucker for some good use of linguistics and while you pointed out the beat and chorus of One Life Stand (which is great), I love the term they created of "one life stand." It's so clever, it's makes you wonder how it hasn't been used before. Also Hot Chip is a weird band name and I appreciate that.

Fun fact, Trentmøller was at my VERY FIRST music festival which was Danmarks Grimmeste Festival in Aarhus in 2014. I think I saw him? I can't remember because it was such a long time ago and I didn't really know any of the bands well because most of them were Danish (like him!) but I remembered Ida telling me about how famous/well known he was. Unfortunately, as this was my first festival, I hadn't yet gotten into the habit of marking down every band I saw to be able to remember everything, but I did write a short blog post about the festival (and the rest of that trip in Aarhus).

But about the actual song, I do remember it from the trailer! It's such a dramatic song and it sets such an amazing mood for that trailer that it did stand out to me when we saw it. I'm gonna say that it terms of our no-repeat rule, if it's being remixed by someone new, it's fine to have that type of repeat. Because I'm pretty sure I've done a similar type of repeat "cheat" before like that. This is definitely mournfully emotional. I was never "emo" either, but I think I did tend towards the angsty music because I found that exciting and powerful in a slightly different way. I do like the clever irony to the poem and title. Again, love me some good linguistical use. A good piece to think on.

Wayne: That's cool, the Aarhus festival connection. What are the odds?

Sofia: It's a funny coincidence, that's for sure.

Wayne: Yeah, one life stand is a nice turn of phrase.

Sofia: Oh, I forgot, I also put a cover of Sexy Sadie on the outtakes because it's by an artist I'd already put on our list but I thought you'd be interested to hear it

Wayne: Cool. Im definitely re-into the white album right now because of the remaster.

Frustrated. This one seems a bit more mainstream. Not like kiss 105 mainstream, but definitely a very current, modern sound. A bit genre-blending. Is it pop? is it R&B? Is it a slow jam? Is it alternative? I'd say all of the above.

Sofia: The fun thing about Frustrated is that it's such a perfect representation of what I feel is true pop because modern pop is genre-bending. And also he's from Bradenton. Like, right here!

Wayne: That is cool! Mystik. Great guitar riff. Nice almost reggae bassline. Good music to have on while working. It's not distracting or demanding.

Killer Queen. Almost too faithful of a cover. I prefer covers that do something new. But this is well done. Nailed the harmonies.

Comments

Popular Posts