I Believe in Music

A "This I Believe" speech I wrote but didn't submit.
 I believe in music. I believe in it more than any other thing, almost as much as I believe in love or truth.

I grew up listening to the Beatles, to my dad playing his guitar on the bed, and to the cd playlists he made when I was old enough to have a stereo.

I grew up singing in preschool, learning tap in kindergarten, playing recorder in 1st grade, violin in 4th, piano in 5th, trumpet in 6th, and then a small smattering of percussion in high school.

And so when I got my first ipod in late February of my 8th grade year, it was not the beginning of music for me, but just the start of a new chapter.

Don't judge book by it's cover, but always ask a person what music they listen to. A lot can be learned from that. The extent to how much they listen to, the variety of genres, the themes of the songs, the popularity of their music gives an insight into who they are.

Music is so diverse, it lends itself to exploration and open-mindedness. You could spend your whole life listening to new music and you'd never run out.

Music is creativity. It is the answer to every question, the color of every emotion, and the result of "What happens when..."

Music unifies. It is a language that everyone speaks and understands. Even accents are less noticeable in song. The focus is the emotion rather than ethnicity or culture.

Music is healing. So commonly music is put into playlists of emotion or played when people just can't deal with the rest of the world. It is the ultimate escape. But it is also the thing that best allows people to stop needing to escape.

Music is nature. It is the winds whistling and waves crashing and rocks falling and plants crinkling. It is in solitude, and what you hear when you don't think there is sound.

Music is life. It is the home away from home and the home that is at home. It is every culture and personality. It is every emotion. It is every virtue. It is every pain. It is for escape and rejoining. It is the instruments in a shop and the waves of the ocean. Every occasion can use music. There is no other creation that is as important.

Music is not just a perspective, it is every perspective. It is not a way of life, but all ways of life. Our world is music. This I believe.

See ya someday,
Sofia

Comments

Popular Posts