Hittin' the Drive-In

Day 9: Phoenix

I'm not sure why, but I woke up at 8. I was extremely disappointed. I'd gone to bed at 1, so I was hoping to sleep in to at least 10. But, in rebellion against the unfortunate awakening, I didn't get out of bed until 9:30.

At home, at least during breaks, for breakfast I'll usually make a quesadilla or pita pizza or I'll have leftovers from dinner. Not average "breakfast foods." But I'd really gotten into that kind of habit, so to be having so many days of normal breakfast food for breakfast almost seems weird.

We arrived at the Baha'i center around 11:30 (late) for the holy day and after it, we got to talk with friends before rushing back home. Let's be metafiction (not really). Notice how I called that "home"? I try to correct that to "the house" but I thought I'd leave that in because it's what I've been automatically writing. It's like, once you've stayed in a place a night, it's just one of your homes.

Anyways, we rushed home and got changed and rushed back out again to get our family picture at Portrait Innovations! (No ! in title) We got our pictures taken, picked our 1 shot, and went to Best Buy to wait the 20-30 minutes for our pictures to print. While at Best Buy, I found muse siblings in the tv section watching the pieces of different movies playing. There's Oz, The Avengers... Then I go wait- There's Joseph Gordon-Levvitt. Alex was like "yeah, it's batman."

If you don't know me, and yes, this deserves it's own separate paragraph, well I'm a big fan of JGL. He's an amazing actor, he's a musician, he's a writer and director, he's just the nicest guy, he has an art collab website called Hitrecord which is incredible, and he's attractive too. I'm almost obsessed. Ever since I saw him in 10 Things I Hate About You I've been a fan. So excuse me, but he was what I was most looking forward to when I first saw DKR in theater! Also, am I the only one who thinks JGL is more attractive than Christian Bale? Not to knock him- he's also attractive and a great actor- but honestly, I just want a whole JGL superhero move and that would make me happy.

So after watching some of my guy, we went back to collect our pictures and went to T J Maxx to buy a salt lamp as a gift to our gracious host these past few days. While there, I found a journal that I absolutely adore and can likely use for a class next year. Picture below.

The rest of the late afternoon we spent getting ready for the movie before heading out for dinner at a- can you guess?- sushi restaurant. So far our time in phoenix has included sushi every other day, but I think this is the last of it. It's been really great, though! We started out with the revolving place, made it ourselves, then ended with a fancier sushi place. We're total pros by now.

HOLD A SEC. Pros at having tried a variety of sushi. Not pros at understanding sushi or determining what exactly something is, and I most definitely am not a pro at chop sticks. I forgot how bad I really am. At the revolving place I just used my fingers (was I not suppose to do that?) and used a fork/fingers at home. I just didn't even try because I was just like, ehh. So this place. They didn't have forks. So I was like, I can do this! But I got a "cheater" to hold the chop sticks together. But they were shaped weird or something and kept falling out of it. I gave up on that and thought, it shouldn't be too hard... There's a REASON I got try. Sure, maybe practice makes perfect, but those things are just impossible for me. Similar to swallowing pills. It. Doesn't. Work. First I just tried to get it to work, then I tried the way they told me to do it, then I gave up all hope and tried the outrageous. One stick in each hand doesn't work very well either. I just wanted something to work. I'm just not meant for chop sticks.

Once we were done, we kids went to the Wallgreens next door and picked out a candy each for the movie. Did you know that there's green dark chocolate mint m&ms? I think that's perfect. I'll have to get some at some point. From there we stopped back home and then went on our way to the theater!

I've been to a drive-in twice before. Thankfully we got their early and so we had a short line to pay before driving in. Some of our friends got caught up in a long line and missed some of the movie. Let me tell ya, Despicable Me 2 was great. Really funny, the minions were adorable as ever... I want a minion. I also want a chip sombrero, but you'll have to watch the movie to understand that reference. I ended up in a truck bed with 3 other girls and a guy who wandered between seats. I love being able to hang out with these friends again. In total, we probably had about 30 people there.

If you've noticed, I don't ever post last names (unless they're a well known celebrity or something of that sort), and I try not to do names much at all. I could do fake names, but that'd feel weird. I've used mostly names for family or occasionally to differentiate between multiple people in a story.

Anyways, that was a good time for everybody. Being at a drive-in nowadays is a pretty unique experience. We didn't do a 2nd feature because of the lateness and large number of kids. Now, time for bed.

See ya someday!

Comments

Popular Posts